When you’re new to navigating the world of gluten-free food and cooking, it can be a little daunting. However, as more gluten-free products appear on our supermarket shelves, and new delicious recipes are created all over the world, the fallacious claims that gluten-free meals taste “bad” is increasingly untrue.
For some, eating gluten-free is not an option, in particular for individuals with coeliac disease, however opting for a gluten-free diet can also provide many well-researched health benefits. Some of these include the easing of chronic inflammation of the digestive system, feeling more energetic and experiencing better weight-loss.
If you’re looking to incorporate more gluten-free friendly recipes into your cooking repertoire, why not give these fluffy gluten-free pancakes a try for your next breakfast. Simple and easy-to-make like regular pancakes, you can customise the toppings to your liking.
- 2 cups of All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour
- 1/2 tsp of Xanthan Gum (if not already in gluten-free flour)
- 1 tbsp Gluten-Free Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1.5 cups milk
- Place dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir well.
- In a separate bowl, gently mix the milk and egg together, gradually pour the wet mixture into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients, and stir until well-combined. The consistency is right if a small amount of the mixture drops from the spoon when gently shaken. If too thick, pour a small amount of milk into the batter to get to the right consistency.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or skillet to medium high heat. If using a non-stick pan, greasing is optional.
- Using a small ladle or spoon, add batter to the desired size of your pancake on the pan.
- Cook the pancakes for approximately 2-3 minutes on each side (as gluten-free pancakes may not show as many bubbles as regular pancakes do).
- Should your pancakes look a little pale, you can increase the heat slightly until they are looking more golden.
- After each pancake is cooked, plate and stack the pancakes.
- Serve with fresh berries of your choice, with optional maple or golden syrup or other toppings to your preferred taste.